My Garden


                                                  
                      Jardin



My garden is my retreat from the real world .I can be anyone in this garden and the plants don’t judge they just hang , stand and grow as I go around clipping them and pruning them into shapes .It shows me the ever changing seasons through the various colours that appear throughout the year. Being in the garden gives me  a sense of peace with the small sounds like the birds chirping and the mozzies making their presence  known with that annoying hypnotic sound which seems to be so close but yet so far away forever buzzing in my ear , always wanting to bite me and secretly destroy my peace .

The water sounds so relaxing coming from the fishpond as it serves many purposes both practical for the dogs and their ever need for cold water and the very  life existence  for the fish that are also relaxing in the cool water  just swimming around. Sometimes I also stop and use this water as a cooling device as I go about my work around the garden on hot days. The structure of the garden has no walls, making every corner or bend a new adventure and place to grow something else.

 Sometimes I make a plan in great detail of where I think things should go but then discover that I never follow plans and just make a garden that looks nice slowly taking over the backyard to suit my vast taste in gardening.

 My two German Shepard’s often follow me around like apprentices’ always there never really helping just quietly watching everything that I do never offering any advice and always looking tired as if they have done most of the work.

The large palms create a canopy that covers the entire garden just like a mother with an endless hug protecting the smaller plants and me below and making shade for us all. As you follow the trunks of the great palm down you find smaller plants that add to the very green and tropical environment making a haven for the birds. Some birds tend to stay a short time enjoying the peace and tranquillity that provides a time out perhaps? From their busy lives others take up permanent residence giving me more jobs to do such as cleaning up their little messes.

In the lowest part of the garden are the small flowering plants like the bromeliads’ which collect water, one little mouse seems to visit all the time I think he knows when I put the sprinkler on as he sits there on the  plant drinking as much as he can before a birds scare him away. The plants seem to know I am there because they reward me with flowers and good growth. I seem to adopt the struggling plants that no one wants from the local plant place and bring them home which gives me great joy as I watch them flourish and grow just like watching my own children grow.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Book Shelf

At loose ends........

Can I be a writer for 4 days